If you are just starting out with BJJ or you are looking to fill a hole in your gi rotation, where can you find the cheapest Gi? For many right now, money is tight and if you need a gi, you’d be surprised what you can buy for cheap. You have quite a lot of options if looking for a gi under $70 dollars with the majority of the cheap gis listed here coming in at under $50 or less.
And If you are comfortable with it, you may score used expensive gis for under $20 dollars!
We give plenty of options and also provide some shopping tips that can help you score a great deal on a gi.
There are quite a few entry level players that focus on the Amazon marketplace. These brands are quite good and will suffice when looking for quality jiu jitsu gi.
These brands are:
- Elite Sports
- Generic Brandless Gis (Your Jiu Jitsu Gear)
Also there are branded entry level gis that you scored for a great deal like the Venum Contender Gi.
Sanabul's Essential v.2 Ultra Light Jiu Jitsu Gi - $65 USD
The main amazon players are Elite and Sanabul, who capitalized early on the Amazon prime marketplace with their affordable yet quality gis.
Sanabul’s entry level gi is called the “Essential v.2 Ultra Light Jiu Jitsu Gi”.
Sanabul Essentials gi has been historically priced for the last 2 years at $64.02 according to JungleScout (Amazon Price Tracker).
Sanabul’s Essentials gi has well over 7000 reviews with 5 star reviews at around 78% so you can be assured of getting a quality gi.
The fabric top is a 350 gsm weave which is on the lighter side of weight. The average gi gsm is typically in the 400s with heavyweight gold weaves coming in at the 500s gsm.
The Sanabul gi is made with pre-shrunk fabric which is good as there will be very little surprise and washing your gi and putting on the first time only to find out it shrunk too much.
- Choose Sanabul Essential Jiu Jitsu Gi for the Ultimate BJJ Experience: Sanabul is the go to choice among BJJ enthusiasts and professional athletes, with hundreds of thousands of BJJ gis sold. Trust in a brand well known for quality products and outstanding reputation
- Get a free Sanabul BJJ Belt with Purchase: Get a free Brazilian Jiu Jitsu belt (any color) with your purchase. Simply select your belt size and color from the belt listing and add it to your cart
- Tested by the Best: Top competitors like Gilbert Burns, Guilherme Bomba, and John Danaher trust in Sanabul. Our gis are put through the toughest training sessions so you can trust in their durability
- Get the Perfect Fit with Our Preshrunk Gi: Say goodbye to sizing guesswork. Our preshrunk gi is easy to care for and can be shrinked to size if necessary. Check out our sizing chart for the perfect fit
- Lightweight Durability: Stay light and agile during hot summer months or competitions with our lightweight gi. Don’t sacrifice firmness for speed - our bjj gi features a stiff collar, tapered fit, and a breathable single weave design
I’m personally not a huge fan of contrast color stitching on my gis and the contrasting color way in the crotch / gusset area off the pants.
Overall though the branding is minimal and clean (which is plus in my book) and I have many teammates who wear Sanabul on the mats and are happy with it.
With that being said, definitely read the Q/A and reviews to find out which size will be a good fit along with reading Sanabul’s sizing guide.
Elite Sports BJJ GI - $59.99
Elite Sports has a price range from $59 on their entry level gi. This gi features a 400 gsm pear weave top (which is pretty standard) with a cotton/poly blend twill pants. Elite jiu jitsu gi has some very nice colorways (I personally own the gray color scheme) and the branding is minimal and on point.
Currently there are well over 4700 hundred reviews with > 80 % of the reviews 5 stars. When shopping on Amazon I tend to like over 80% 5 stars with a lot of reviews (to average out the ratings manipulation) and Elite definitely fits that criteria.
Overall a great gi to rock while training and especially love the olive green and gray (grey??) color schemes.
- ✅ ADVANCE SIZING: Our sizing is superior to any other brand out there, we do not believe in 1 size fits all when it comes to Bjj gis. PLEASE SEE OUR ADVANCE SIZING CHART.
- ✅ NO SHRINKING- MACHINE WASH IS OK- Lets be realistic most Gi brands want you to hand wash and then hang to dry in order to avoid shrinkage – Elite Sports Jiu-Jitsu GI is made from pre-shrunk fabric you’ll never have to worry about your lightweight BJJ GIs shrinking. Just wash this lightweight BJJ GI for men in cold water and use dryer. The pre-shrunk fabric of our BJJ kimono is strong and durable and will not disappoint you our cause unexpected shrinkage.
- ✅ IBJJF APPROVED – This IBJJF GI is approved from International BJJ Federation, so you can wear our BJJ Jiu-Jitsu GI in competitions and tournaments held by IBJJF. Various sizes and colors are available for both men and women from ages 18 to 55 years. This Jiu Jitsu GI has a stylish and elegant design.
- ✅ FREE WHITE BELT w/ STRIPE BAR – Our lightweight men’s BJJ kimono is complemented with a free white belt for beginners which is made of the same cotton as the GI. The free while belt also has a stripe bar that will allow you to earn your stripes and show them with pride displaying your progress as you climb up the levels.
- ✅ REDUCE THE RISK OF BAD SMELL – Lightweight material in our Jiujitsu GI disperses sweat faster, means no lingering bad smells ruining your GI. So, you won’t have to experience rancid odors distracting you from training or competing. Just wash the BJJ Kimono after your training session and wear clean your BJJ Jiujitsu GIs every next day.
Jayefo Sports Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gi - $43.99
The Jayefo Jiu Jitsu Gi is definitely one of the lowest priced Gi you can find on Amazon (and online)
The gi top jacket fabric is a Pearl Weave at a nice and sturdy 450 gsm weight. The pants are constructed with 10 ounce ripstop pants. This is a great fabric combination and incredible that Jayefo offers such a gi with ripstop pants for under $50 dollars US.
Love the color options with again the olive and gray schemes.
I personally am not sure of the branding (what does Jayefo even mean and how do you pronounce it?) but overall the branding looks clean and not in your face and for the price, base fabrics used in the gi and the color ways I would definitely add this gi in my training rotation.
- ✅ LIGHTWEIGHT AND PRESHRUNK | Jayefo Jiu Jitsu Men & Women Are Made Lightweight & Preshrunk. Please Wash Jiu Jitsu Pants & Jiujitsu Top in Cold Water And Hang To Dry.
- ✅FREE WHITE BJJ BELT | Jayefo All Bjj Gi Comes with A Durable Free Bjj Gi Belt in White Color With Rank Bar Saving You Time And Money.
- ✅IBJJF APPROVED | Jayefo Sports Jiu Jitsu Gi Are Approved by Ibjjf Standards, You May Wear Jayefo Bjj Gi Men at Any Ibjjf Championship.
- ✅FIX PATCHES | Jayefo Bjj Gi Comes with Plenty of Space Where You May Fix Jiu Jitsu Academy or Sponsors Patches. You May Also Fix Patches On Top Jayefo Bjj Gi Chest Logo as It Is Permitted Area by IBJJF to Paste Patches.
- ✅1-YEAR WARRANTY |Jayefo Juijitsu Gi Mens and Women Warranty Covers for Gi Pants, Gi Top, Bjj Gi Belt Stitching & Fabric. If Your Mens Bjj Gi or Womens Bjj Gi Fabric or Stitching Rip/Tear Message Us We Will Send Replacement Bjj Gi to Cover Warranty.
Hawk Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gi - $49.99
Hawk is another budget Amazon focused BJJ brand and offers a gi for under $50 dollars.
The gi jack top is made with 350 gsm pearl weave fabric and the pants are 10 oz ripstop fabric. The pearl weave top is pretty standard (maybe a bit on the lighter side which is good for hot training rooms but not so much for long term durability).
I think it’s a plus the pants are in ripstop at this price point. The color ways are nice (matching the other top brands on Amazon) and branding on gi itself is minimal. This seems to be a departure from their previous versions in which the branding was more prominent on the gi.
While I’m not a fan of the current logo/ logo script (“HAWK” would look better with an Elite looking logo script) it is not overtly flashy and in your face. Overall this is a great choice for hotter climates sub $50 dollar gi.
- Move Freely. Our BJJ pants and jacket are made from 350 gsm pre-shrunk pearl weave fabric, strong and light, for easily taking down larger opponents and executing powerful grapples and submissions
- Fit Comfortably. Our IBJFF-legal BJJ gi comes in various sizes, for training and competition. Adjust the Y-lapel collar on the jacket and rope drawstring around the pants' waist loops for a snug fit
- Use Reliably. Reinforced stitching along key areas of the BJJ uniform, 10oz ripstop fabric sewn along the BJJ gi pants, and EVA rubber collars of the BJJ jacket, add durability where it is needed most
- Wear Confidently. Sport a professional look with a Brazilian jiu jitsu gi of your chosen color, with minimalist HWK logos and clean lines. Personalize your gi with a sew on patch of your BJJ academy
- Value for Money. Get the best deal on our Hawk BJJ Gi with free jiu jitsu belt. Add stripes to your white belt's rank bar as you progress toward earning a blue belt and moving up the jiu jitsu ranks
Venum Contender 2.0 BJJ Gi - $58
This is a solid choice for price to brand value. Venum is well known in the MMA space as well as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
The Venum Contender series gi is their entry level gi with Venum branded script and logo with a nice aesthetic overall.
The Jacket is 350 gsm pearl weave with cotton twill pants coming in at 230 gsm (8 ounces). The 300 weighted jackets are a favorite of mine when training and are light and airy.
I have this gi and it’s a solid choice. The color is nice with the gray and navy options and the branding is on point with the Venum brand (clean with the snake head logo on the back).
I have seen the pricing on this gi fluctuate quite a bit but if you see it below $60 definitely give it a hard look as that is a great price for this branded gi.
- Pearl weave cotton jacket
- Jacket 350 gsm with rounded, reinforced slots
- EVA foam soft collar
- Pants 230 gsm 100% cotton with reinforced stitching inside leg and around ankle circumfrence
- Does not include belt
There are other Gi brands on Amazon that are worth a look as well as brandless gis that feature no embroidery or logo patches. If you see something you like give it a shot as you can always return the gi for free (prime members).
Some of the gis that come to mind are Your Jiu Jitsu Gear and Reevo.
Your Jiu Jitsu Gear - $64.99
Your Jiu Jitsu Gear is a solid choice and having no logos or branding is very clean. Their gis come in either 450 or 350 gsm weight fabric if you want heavier/studier gi or lighter.
- ACCURATE SIZING FOR THE PERFECT FIT - When it comes to Gis, one size does not fit all. That’s why we’ve included a height-based adult unisex sizing chart picture for you to easily find the right size for your needs.
- MACHINE WASHABLE ALL NATURAL MATERIAL - Our premium quality Gis are made with the finest all-natural pearl weave cotton blend. To avoid shrinkage, stinkage & to ensure fabric’s comfortable feel, simply wash your Gi in cold water and hang it to air dry, or use the low heat setting in your dryer after each session. If you want to shrink your Gi, wash it in hot water & dry it on a high-heat setting and you’ll be ready to fight another day.
- HIGH-QUALITY, DURABLE & LONG LASTING - Our premium YJJG BJJ Gis are strong & built to last. Reinforced stitching throughout all seams & in key stress areas ensures that our BJJ Gi uniforms withstand years of tough training. Black Belts and beginners alike will look sharp and be ready to take down their competitors in this ultra-comfortable, premium-made Gi.Our Gis are specially designed to comply with all International BJJ Federation* regulations for competitions and tournaments.
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE, WITH 4 COLORS AND 2 FABRIC WEIGHTS - Four classic colors are available in our complete BJJ Gi Sets: White, Black, Blue, and Grey. Choose between 350-GSM Lightweight (aka Ultra Light ) Pearl Weave or 450-GSM Standard Pearl Weave.
- RISK-FREE GUARANTEE - If you aren’t fully satisfied with your YJJG Gi, Amazon offers a full, 30-day money-back guarantee with no questions asked. This product is shipped directly from the Amazon warehouse.
For an entry level or budget gi (cheap) under $70 dollars your best bet can be to buy direct from the gi brand itself. They profit more from you, the consumer, buying directly from their site (Amazon takes around a ⅓ cut).
Therefore they incentivize and price less than what you may see from Amazon.
The following brands are particularly budget friendly with their entry level gis…. especially during sales periods (holidays and summer).
Venum from time to time has sales and free shipping that blow Amazon pricing out of the water. Your best bet is to sign up for their newsletter and get notified of new sales. They have a better selection than on Amazon I find and if you are patient you can get a great deal on your new Gi.
I personally own the VENUM CONTENDER EVO BJJ GI and bought from their site.
Check it out: https://www.venum.com/collections/kimonos
Another Jiu Jitsu brand that has amazing Gis is Tatami. Tatami (meaning mat in Japanese), is a longtime BJJ brand. I find from time to time Tatami has amazon deals on their entry level gis.
For example they are selling a complite gi in black for $49.50 which is a really good deal for such an esteemed brand like Tatami. Although as of this writing their free shipping policy requires you to spend $150, you can buy multiple gis and be set for a long time.
Although Elite Sports has a big presence on Amazon, if you buy directly from their site you can score some great gis for less than $50 dollars. If you join their email list you save more on your order and get notified flash sales. Definitely budget friendly if you are in pinch.
Ebay, offer up, Facebook Marketplace and Google Shopping
The ultimate cheap gi can be had if you search the used market places. I bought my very first gi on ebay for $20 and recently bought a nice Hayabusa gi for $14.
This recently scored Hayabusa Lightweight Jiu Jitsu gi retails currently for $129 but I was able to score it for $14 dollars. While it did come with lint and hair that I had to clean off, after a deep wash and dry I was really happy with this deal.
I found my new (used) gi on a weird site called DollarHog.net, which I found while looking through Google shopping.
Google shopping is a great place to search for any used (new too) gi bargains.
If you don’t mind a used Gi this can be a good option if you are patient and not in a rush.
So the cheap gi deals can be had… it just what is your time frame and what are you comfortable with buying.
Look through those used marketplaces for bargains before pulling the trigger on a new gi… especially if you live in a large metro this could be a good option for you.
To wrap this up, you have a lot of options if you want to spend less than $70 even $60 dollars and are in a time crunch on Amazon. Your next (or best if you are patient) is to scour the brands themselves to see what kind of deals you can score on their entry level gis.
And if you are a real penny pincher and have time in abundance, you can score some amazing deals (less than $20) on the used marketplace.
Good luck and happy rolling!