When starting your Jiu-Jitsu journey there’s something that might not be on your radar but it should be: antifungal antibacterial workout soap.
It’s one of BJJ’s dirty secrets, it’s a literal bacterial soup on the mats no matter how often they are cleaned at their best, at their worst those mats are not cleaned at all. But what you might not realize is that sweat and bacteria can lead to fungal infections like athlete’s foot and jock itch. Gross, right?
Now, if you’re an active person outside of Jiu-Jitsu, hitting the gym, going for runs, or doing any other kind of physical activity, your chances of getting a bacterial skin infection go up so it’s really important to keep your skin clean and healthy.
Worse yet, by having active skin infections and training, you will start to get a reputation as someone to avoid rolling with lest you spread your funk to the rest of the gym. This is probably one of the worst reputations to have when training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
That’s where antifungal workout soap comes in. By using a soap that’s specifically formulated to fight fungal infections, you can help prevent these annoying and uncomfortable issues from taking hold and keeping you off the mats. But with so many options out there, how do you know which one to choose?
We got you covered. In this article, I’m going to break down the best antifungal workout soaps on the market, so you can stay clean, healthy, and fungus-free. Let’s get started.
Importance of keeping skin clean and healthy while being active
Table of Contents
BJJ and grappling in general is a close contact sport. Your skin is exposed to all sorts of foreign microbes and germs from the mats and other people. This can cause all sorts of issues.
One of the most famous no-gi grapplers Gordon Ryan apparently suffered so many skin infections training in the blue basement at Renzo Gracie in New York, that he was constantly on antibiotics for an extended time that affected his gut health.
Antibiotics can be like throwing napalm on the problem, killing both good and bad bacteria at the same time in hopes of wiping out the infection.
This can cause havoc in your gut biome, causing a lot of issues with food digestion and your immune system.
Keeping your skin clean and healthy from the start, and as a regular routine can help stop some of these skin infections from spreading out of control (and necessitating the use of antibiotics).
Sweat and bacteria can lead to fungal infections like athlete’s foot and jock itch
According this study (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29260967/), bacterial skin infections can be unpleasant side effects of exercise; among them are impetigo, folliculitis, cellulitis, and pitted keratolysis.
There is no way around it and it always will be an issue when working out. Antifungal workout soap can help prevent these issues
My trusty Defense Soap. Use it everytime after I workout.
Antifungal workout soap can help prevent these issues
Antifungal soaps are formulated with certain oils like Gluconate, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, which are natural ingredients that have antifungal and antibacterial properties.
According to one independent studies (here https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33950544/) and (here https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16418522/) and many others, These ingredient have a beneficial effects in prevent and stopping skin related bacteria and fungus issues.
What to Look for in Antifungal Workout Soap
Which Active ingredients should we be looking for in an antifungal and antibacterial soap?
Well of course some form of tea tree oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia) and eucalyptus oils that have natural antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Also the soap should have some sort of natural fragrance and scent ingredient that are neutral and counter the tea tree and eucalyptus oils which have a specific smell.
Some popular formulations will include other natural ingredients such as Coconut, Olive, Rosemary and Jojoba oils to help to give balance and neutral scent.
The Best Antifungal & Antibacterial Workout Soaps
The top pick and the product I use everyday after training hands down is Defense Soap. Defense soap has been a leader for many years in soaps specifically formulated for grappling sports.
Personally I can vouch for Defense soap which in the past I used to have a lot of issues with cellulitis and other skin infections due to training and this hands down has helped to stop those issues from recurring.
The only downside to Defense Soap is that it can be expensive compared to competitors. However the formulation is legit and having to see a medical professional can be vastly more expensive.
Also I do not use Defense Soap everytime I shower, just after anytime of workout. Also I keep the bar of soap off the wet areas of the shower when not in use to extent the life even further.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN NATURAL TEA TREE OIL AND EUCALYPTUS OIL provide a broad spectrum of benefits effective at thoroughly washing
- PROVEN IN THE WORLD OF CONTACT SPORTS TO EFFICIENTLY REMOVE dirt, grime, gym crud, sweat, smog, allergens, grunge, and built up oils
- HIGHEST QUALITY WASH WITH SUPERIOR RINSING ACTION restores the skin's natural barrier and helps controls the production of sebum and dead skin cells
- HYPOALLERGENIC AND SAFE eucalyptus scent for sensitive skin. Triple milled for quality, consistency and longevity
- NATURAL, FREE & CLEAR with no fragrances, dyes, cosmetics, petrochemical compounds, alcohol or sodium lauryl sulfate
Other soaps that have a Similar formulation and which are geared for the type of training we do:
Submission Soap from Gold Bjj has all the essential ingredients for a good antifungal soap with a blend of essential tea tree oil and essential eucalyptus oils.
- NATURAL PROTECTION FOR JIU JITSU AND WRESTLING 💪 Gold BJJ's Submission Soap is made from a unique blend of essential tea tree oil and essential eucalyptus oil, formulated to keep you on the mats.
- HANDMADE IN THE USA 🇺🇸 Our bar soap is hand crafted in small batches right here in the USA. Now available in 3 scents: Classic Tea Tree, Peppermint Tea Tree, and Activated Charcoal Tea Tree.
- REINFORCE YOUR NATURAL SKIN DEFENSE 🛡️ Your skin has a natural line of defense that can be broken down by traditional soap and body wash. Sub Soap is all natural, great for sensitive skin.
- ONLY THE GOOD STUFF 🌱 Our soap is vegan, cruelty free and GMO free. Jiu Jitsu athletes and wrestlers around the world trust Submission Soap to keep them training hard and smelling great.
- NOW AVAILABLE IN A BODY WASH 🚿 Prefer a body wash shower gel? Sub Soap is now available in a liquid version. To find it on Amazon, just search: Gold BJJ Body Wash
This soap contains antifungal ingredients such as Tea Tree oil and is worth trying out.
- ALL NATURAL SOAP FOR JIU JITSU, WRESTLING, & MMA. Protective ingredient blend includes tea tree, lemongrass, and peppermint essential oils.
- SMELLS AMAZING. Sweet yet subtle scent of lavender and clove essential oils. Specially mixed with tea tree, rosemary, and cassia to create an ideal combo. Smells great while keeping skin clean, healthy, and feeling good.
- PROTECTS AND HYDRATES SKIN. Powerful base blend includes saponified oils of sunflower, coconut, palm, and safflower, and mango and shea butters to help soften skin.
- PREFERRED BY ATHLETES. Whether you engage in contact-based sports or use shared gym equipment, Spar Soap has you covered. Stay clean so you can keep training hard on the mats.
- MADE BY ATHLETES FOR ATHLETES IN THE USA. 100% vegan. 100% recyclable packaging. No animal testing. Made in USA through cold process techniques. Products are made in small batches to ensure quality control and each item is pH-tested at the time of production.
Battleskin Antifungal Soap
Battleskin is another soap that contains Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus Oil.
- Battleskin ANTIFUNGALMEDICATED SOAP BAR：The natural castile soap bar is a Foot and Body Odor eliminator that soothes Man/Woman/Athlete's Foot, Toe Nails, Candida, Ringworm, Jock Itch, Acne, and Other Skin Irritations. Our Tea Tree hand soap bar SMELLS GREAT, is balanced for all skin types and gives you a fresh tingling sensation. More than an organic soap bar, it is a cleaning and beauty soap. You can use it in your daily life for face, body, and hand.
- BEST NATURAL BODY WASH INGREDIENTS: The ingredients to have in soap include miconazole and best natural ingredients tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, lavender oil. The effectiveness of tea tree oil and miconzole against ringworm and other manifestations of fungal infections. Eucalyptus oil has antiseptic and antifungal properties. Our natural essential oil can also be a source of nourishment since most of them are packed with essential vitamins that your skin needs.
- PROTECTS ATHLETES OF MANY VARIETIES: The tea tree oil soap is great for Outdoor people & Athletes who are active in soccer, basketball, CrossFit, martial arts, running, cycling, yoga, Pilates, MMA (mixed martial arts), boxing, football, or workout regularly at the gym. Our man and woman body soap are gentle enough to be used daily. Throw a bar soap bulk for women and men into your gym bag and use it regularly. Strong Enough for the Gym - Gentle Enough to Use Every Day!
- SOOTHES DRY, ITCHY, CRACKED, FLAKY, SKIN: Our cleaning medicated soap help Soothe Foot and Body, Skin Irritations on your Face, Hands, Heels, Toenails, Elbow, Back, Chest, and Butt. Men and women with acne and eczema use our moisturizing body wash for cleaner feeling skin. Our Tea Tree hand soap bar smells great, is balanced for all skin types and gives you a fresh tingling sensation.
- GUARANTEE OF SAFETY: our bar soap has no Chemical Harmful Preservatives, Petroleum, fragrances, dyes or other harsh ingredients. And If you don't like our products, please tell us and we will give you a replacement order or refund no-questions-asked. We strive to ensure that all of our customers are completely satisfied.
The regular use of using antifungal antibacterial workout soap will help keep you on the mats longer, protect yourself from serious skin infections and keep your reputation as a hygienic and clean training partner intact.
You never want to be off the mats because of a skin infection and nor do you want to be associated with being an unclean and nasty roll. Keep yourself and your training partners happy by not spreading infections on the mat through daily cleaning with a good workout soap.